Saturday, August 28, 2010

The sound of silence

I'm spending the weekend at a hotel close to home, having a little personal writing retreat. It's pleasant, yet eerily quiet, to be alone in a hotel room.

My pillows have all stayed on the bed instead of being used in an epic pillow fight. There are no crayons on the table or Cheez-It crumbs on the floor. This is all very nice, just a little hard to adjust to. But the quiet...I have to play music during the day, and run the air conditioner fan at night, just to cover up the quiet.

Luckily, the people in the rooms on either side of me have kids. So this morning while I was trying to sleep in, I awoke to the sound of children fighting. Ahhh...just like home. Only, I didn't have to deal with it. I just went back to sleep.

1 comment:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

What an interesting perspective. The comfort of nagging sounds coupled with the anti-stress effect of not having to address them. Hopefully, I will be doing the same thing as you in October, but for a week in Lake Tahoe. I hope you found your weekend retreat to be very productive!