Monday, July 27, 2009

Healthy Muffin Recipe

It's Monday. Even after my two and a half cups of Awake tea I am uninspired.

Since I can't bring myself to be entertaining, I thought I would be useful instead. So, I am offering up a recipe I have adapted, using the basic muffin recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and ideas from The Sneaky Chef. There is plenty of room for further adaptation, especially if your kids are not phobic about items such as blueberries in their baked goods.

Healthy Muffins

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I use 3/4 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup wheat germ or oat bran
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon almond meal (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk (I use rice milk but any milk will do)
1/4 cup cooking oil (I use canola)
2-6 tablespoons of shredded or pureed healthy stuff you want to hide (carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, white beans, etc.)
rainbow sprinkles (optional) (I use these especially if I am using shredded carrots because it hides them better)

1. In a medium mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour and flour-like substances, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

2. In another mixing bowl combine egg, milk, oil, sneaky ingredients, and sprinkles, if desired. If your kids like to bake with you, you can have them help out with everything until the end, then find a way to get them out of the kitchen long enough to throw in the orange mush or whatever.

3. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 20 minutes. Makes 10 to 12 muffins, or a bunch of mini muffins. If your kids end up liking these as much as mine do, it is an easy recipe to double.

No comments: