Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baby Nuthouse: popularity is overrated

I never saw this coming. After all those years of anonymity and averageness, I’ve suddenly become the most popular person around. Well, around my house, that is.

Everyone always wants my attention around here. Now at the height of my popularity, I’m finding it to be kind of a burden. Is this how the homecoming queen felt? Like, it’s totally not possible for everyone to sit next to me at lunch, you know?

In the morning, I typically find at least one child curled up in my bed. If I carry a load of laundry upstairs, I can expect a couple of tagalongs. If I don’t want company in the bathroom, I have to sneak away and quickly lock the door. Even then, someone invariably comes knocking within seconds.

I can’t run outside to get something from the car without at least one, and usually all, of my kids insisting that they accompany me. As if I might just spontaneously decide to hop in the car and take off for Vegas. Don’t they know I would NEVER do that? (I’d head for the coast.)

I had kind of noticed my popularity increasing over the years since I had children, but it really hit home the other day when my 2-year-old daughter wanted me to sit down beside her on the stairs. When I said okay, she began jumping up and down, clapping, and shouting, “YAY! YAY! YAY!”

Who wouldn’t want this kind of popularity? I realize it won’t last, so I try to grin and bear it during those moments when I’m desperately trying to make dinner and everyone needs to be picked up.

On the other hand, I didn’t mind so much the other day when my husband returned from a week-long business trip and my popularity instantly plummeted. Suddenly Daddy was the one in high demand. He was bombarded with requests to put on a shirt, prepare mac-n-cheese, read a book and play a game.

While the children followed him around the house like ducklings, I went out for a coffee and got the grocery shopping done. Then I came home and took a nap.

I need a break now and then. Being so popular is wearing me out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand. Sometimes, mine fight over who gets to sit next to me. I had heard it was exhausting- being popular- but I truly had no idea. (I do have to admit, my break comes when they are at school!) I wish John would go on business trips, so he can come home and be enjoyed and greeted like that. Well, good luck with it.