Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A novel idea

I may have stayed up a little too late last night, fiddling around on the Internet, wasting precious hours that should have been devoted to sleep.

And in so doing, I may have just committed myself to writing a complete novel in the month of November.

The goal of participating in NaNoWriMo is to start and finish a novel. It does not have to be any good, in fact, it almost cannot be good. The point is just to finish it. Because there will always be excuses not to start a novel. And it's such a gargantuan project, which takes so long to complete, that most people don't have the stamina to get to the end.

With NaNoWriMo you can't concern yourself with quality, it's all about getting that crappy first draft written. Even if you end up with nothing of particular value and delete the whole thing at the end, it gets those creative juices flowing and oils the rusty writing gears. If you force yourself to write about 2,500 words a day, it's bound to get you in the habit of writing, right?

So, wish me luck--starting Sunday I'm about to embark on a month of the worst writing I have ever done. I'm so excited! I'll be sure include a few updates--as well as some favorite excerpts--on this blog.

And finally...anyone out there want to join me in the adventure? How about it, my writer friends?

6 comments:

Cassie said...

What a cool idea! I just might join you in the fun!

(her name is Torrie) said...

Wow Ruth, That is GREAT!!! How the heck are you going to do 2500/day?? I can not WAIT to hear how it goes! This inspires me to get my butt back in gear.

Ruth said...

Cassie, let me know if you sign up, we can cheer each other on!
Torrie, I am going to have to let go of my perfectionism and write total crap! I love that the goal is quantity not quality. Not my usual M.O. Should be interesting.

John said...

That sounds fun and challenging. I have started three novels since I have been a mother. But that is far as it goes. Can't wait to hear how you do.

Sarafree said...

Oh! I so want to do this someday! I don't know if I'm up for it this go around.

Meaghan said...

You're a brave Mama, Ruth! I think it's a great idea.

I've been working on my novel for a year and I can't seem to finish it for all the rewriting.

Get it done in the month. You've got a lifetime to rewrite it, right?