Sunday, March 15, 2009

Food For Thought

For the past few weeks my kids have been participating in a swimming program called Infant Swimming Resource. My husband and I are huge fans of ISR, and I'll share more about it later, but this week I'm going to focus on the topic of FOOD.

Food has really been on my mind lately, because as part of the swimming program, I've had to write down everything my kids eat. As hard as it is for us slacker homeschoolers to get out the door every single morning for swim class, harder still has been remembering to record every piece of food my three children ingest.

However, as much of a pain as it is, the experience has been eye-opening. With a quick glance I can see that my picky son really did eat toast for at least one meal every single day, and I can check to see how many servings of fruits and vegetables I've dished up.

The first day was the best, because we had just returned from a trip and had no food in the house. My kids ate Goldfish crackers for breakfast. I felt like Mom of the Year.

There's something about writing it all down and having it stare back at you in unforgiving ink. If you are trying to improve your own eating habits, or those of your family, I'd highly recommend just writing down everything you eat for a week or two. It might take up most of your spare time, but it can be a great springboard for making healthy changes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE ISR TOO!!! I'm glad it's finally in Folsom, and that it's within walking distance for you guys!

As much as the BUDS sheets are a pain in the ***, at least it does shine light on what they have been served and eaten!

Anonymous said...

ISR is a fantastic program. Alisha, you're right on with your comment about a friendly swim instructor.