Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Introducing: TV Tuesdays

One of my lesser-known talents is deconstructing children’s television programs. For instance, I’ve noticed a number of glaring inconsistencies in the Clifford the Big Red Dog series. Of course I have to keep reminding myself that Clifford is the size of a house. The premise alone requires a major suspension of disbelief. Also, the show is aimed at children ages 3 to 7.

But more about Clifford later. At this time I’d like to introduce “TV Tuesdays,” a new feature on Ruth, the Mom. Mostly I will focus on kids’ shows, with an occasional glimpse into my own viewing habits.

Like most parents, I try to discourage TV viewing by my children, in favor of more productive activities. But, there are times...

...when we’re all sick...when we’ve been stuck in the house with below zero temperatures for a week...when I’m pregnant and exhausted...when I have a newborn and I’m exhausted...

Or, times like the other night, when it was 6:30 p.m., my husband was out of town, the kids had been fighting all day, and I was trying to make dinner. I flipped on Teletubbies, and there was a collective sigh of relief.

But more about Teletubbies later. We will begin this series with one of the most popular children’s shows of all time, Thomas the Tank Engine and His Friends.

No comments: